Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Courage to Write Your Story

“Lots of people think things - but they don’t say them. They know that saying them out loud would change their lives.They know that claiming their own truth is the first step off the edge of a mountain alone.”

I am reminded when I read this quote, from one of the most inspirational woman I follow, Sister Joan D. Chittister, O.S.B., a Benedictine nun, author and speaker and a member of the Benedictine Sisters of Erie, Pennsylvania, of just how tough it can be to tell your story.

Joan knows what it is to step off that mountain alone. Her analyses and critiques of political systems and the church that she loves have been met at times with fear and harsh criticism. 

“I would rather be criticized for what I say then for what I have failed to say.”

Talents that lie dormant in our souls destroy us from the inside out. Creation goes on creating through us. We are the only hands God has. Find the thing that stirs your heart and make room for it. Life is about the development of self to the point of unbridled joy. For me it is writing.

No comments: